As the title suggests, I have a new Blinky Application, all written, compiled and uploaded using open source software. This flashes the blue LED and the green LED at half the speed.
I will put up the full procedure on how to do this tomorrow, as I am a little short of time and it involves building the toolchain and so on.
Meanwhile, here is a video showing the program being uploaded to the board and running. Not the most exciting video ever :)
This took longer than expected partly, well mostly because I didn't realise you had to actually turn the MCU peripheral components on - unlike other MCUs I've worked with it doesn't start in a default state. The code I'd written for the LEDs was fine, but the port had never been enabled so it didn't work :(
I've also moved the serial converter out of the way - I'm going to move it to stripboard tomorrow I think :)